At Cincinnati Law, we put a priority on helping you gain real-world experience. Completing an externship during your law school career helps you add important practical skills as well as explore career options in the professional world.
We offer two types of externships.
Further action is required to make this video accessible
The below criteria must be satisfied:
- Affirm Accessibility must be checked AND
- A title is entered if youtube is selected.
The video will not display on the live site until the issue above is resolved.
Legal Extern Program
During your second and third years at Cincinnati Law, you may apply to work—for academic credit—at a variety of placement sites, from government agencies to non-profit organizations and Fortune 500 corporations.
You'll complete a minimum of 100 hours of work at a placement site, where you will be assigned an Attorney Field Supervisor who will provide you with professional guidance and mentoring.
In your third year, you are eligible to obtain a Limited License to Practice as a Legal Intern from the Ohio or Kentucky Supreme Courts. If you extern with a Limited License, you can make court appearances on behalf of clients under the direct supervision of a licensed attorney.
Recent University of Cincinnati Legal Externs have been placed at:
- The Kroger Company
- Legal Aid of Greater Cincinnati
- The Kentucky Department of Public Advocacy
- Office of the Cincinnati City Solicitor
- Ohio Justice and Policy Center
- Office of the United States Attorney for the Southern District of Ohio
- Fifth Third Bank
- National Labor Relations Board
- Housing Opportunities Made Equal
- Cincinnati Public Schools
- Su Casa Hispanic Center
- United States Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau
- Wright Patterson Air Force Base
- Cincinnati Interfaith Workers’ Center
- Center for Closing the Health Gap
- Children’s Law Center
- University of Cincinnati Department of Athletic Compliance
- Internal Revenue Service
- Procter and Gamble
- Talbert House Fatherhood Project
Judicial Extern Program
Cincinnati Law's Judicial Extern Program gives you an up-close-and-personal view of the life of a judge's law clerk. You'll prepare memoranda on cases, review case files, draft opinions and orders and attend trials, hearings, and conferences. You'll also have an insider's view of the judicial process, learning not only how the courts function, but also what influences judges to rule in particular ways.
Judicial externships are highly valued professional development opportunities as well as resume boosters. Cincinnati Law's judicial externship includes a minimum of 100 hours at your placement site, at a rate not to exceed 10 hours per week, as well as a mandatory companion course—you receive academic credit for both classroom and placement components.
You'll be matched with a federal or state judge based, in part, on your interests and capabilities as well as the judges' needs.
Find out more
For information about any Cincinnati Law externship, contact Chris Szydlowski
at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-556-0900.