Residency Resources

Reclassifying as an Ohio Resident

Residency Basics

The University Registrar's Office classifies students into one of three categories in terms of their state residency and subsequent tuition rate. Students are then billed tuition at that corresponding rate: Ohio resident, non-resident, or Kentucky Metropolitan Rate. Several unique residency situations (described below) may also apply to UC Law students.

Forever Buckeye

This provision extends the in-state resident tuition rate to any Ohio high school graduate who left the state but returns to enroll in an Ohio public institution of higher education and establishes a primary residence in the state. Incoming students enrolling under this provision must complete the University’s Forever Buckeye Ohio Residency Application and submit it to the Registrar’s Office with a copy of their Ohio high school transcript and a copy of a lease or deed showing a current state of residence in Ohio.

Kentucky Metropolitan Rate

Cincinnati Law students living in the state of Kentucky are able to attend UC Law at an established Kentucky Metropolitan Rate (KMR). This rate equals Ohio resident tuition plus $300 per semester (up to 18 credit hours per semester). Students who present a Kentucky driver's license or state ID (along with the KMR Application and supporting documentation) at least two weeks prior to the start of the term can receive the rate. Learn if you qualify for the Kentucky Metropolitan Rate.

Indiana Reciprocity

Residents of selected counties in the State of Indiana can qualify for Indiana Reciprocity to enroll at UC Law under Ohio resident tuition rates. Qualifying students must initiate the reciprocity eligibility review process by submitting the Indiana Reciprocity Application and supporting documentation verifying their residence in one of the eligible counties. Documentation may include a driver's license, vehicle registration, proof of voter registration, most recent state income tax form, and a lease or property deed. The application form and supporting documentation should be submitted at least two weeks prior to the start of the term for which you are enrolling. Learn if you qualify for the Indiana Metropolitan Rate.

Immediate Residency for Married Non-Resident Students

Some married law students are able to gain immediate Ohio residency under Ohio Administrative Code 3333 -1-10 (C)(3). This rule allows for the spouse of a person who, as of the first day of classes, has accepted full-time, self-sustaining employment and has established domicile in Ohio for reasons other than gaining the benefit of favorable tuition rate. An Immediate Residency Application and other documentation will be required (typically this includes a letter from an employer stating the date of transfer/employment, a copy of a lease or deed indicating residence in Ohio, etc). Incoming students planning to apply for Immediate Residency are urged to contact the University Registrar’s Office as early in the process as possible.

"Ohio G.I. Promise" Residency Reclassification

Veterans of the U.S. Armed Services, their spouses, and their dependents may qualify for immediate classification as Ohio residents for tuition purposes if the veteran satisfies certain criteria. Learn more about Ohio G.I. Promise Residency Reclassification

Reclassifying as an Ohio Resident

The State of Ohio does permit independent, self-sustaining non-resident students to reclassify as Ohio residents after 12 months of domicile. Typically this enables many law students to reclassify as Ohio residents for both their second and third years of study. Learn more about and apply to  reclassify as an Ohio Resident.